Engaged New York Math Resources
To assist educators with the implementation of the Common Core, the New York State Education Department provides curricular modules in P-12 Mathematics that schools and districts can adopt or adapt for local purposes. The full year of Grade 6 Mathematics curriculum has been provided in the following link Engaged New York 6th Grade Math
- Grades 6-8 Math Curriculum Map – These documents provide educators a road map for implementing the modules across a school year.
- Scaffolding Instruction for English Language Learners: Resource Guides for English Language Arts and Mathematics
- Mathematics Fluency Support for Grades 6–8 – This additional resource provides fluency exercises to develop and maintain procedural skill, speed and accuracy in calculation for grades 6-8 in two formats: Rapid White Board Exchange and the Sprint.
Common Core Mathematical Practices
Inside Mathematics has worked closely with mathematics education leaders involved in the creation of the national Common Core State Standards for Mathematics to align the resources of this site with the national standards for mathematical practice. Our goal is to guide and support educators in learning the Common Core framework and related it to teaching practice and students’ learning. The nonlinear nature of web-based resources will support educators in building deeper understanding of what the Common Core Standards look like in practice, with a goal of building robust mathematical thinking in all students.
- Standard 1: Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them
- Standard 2: Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Standard 3: Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others
- Standard 4: Model with mathematics
- Standard 5: Use appropriate tools strategically
- Standard 6: Attend to precision
- Standard 7: Look for and make use of structure
- Standard 8: Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
- Exemplary Lessons Integrating the Standards for Mathematical Practice